Thursday, June 26, 2008

Grrrrreat!

Y'know what I said a few posts back about the joys of a peeling sunburn?? Well, I should further specify that I am NOT too keen on such dermal shedding when it's goin' on on MY FACE. From afar, my face has this nice, sun-kissed hue (that goes well with my new darker hair...dyed it last Thursday night) but peering at it up close you can see my face has the same white crackle finish you see on the surface of A FROSTED FLAKE.

So York was lotsa fun. We stayed at the Anchorage, which was fine, aside from a sorta low, dingy-looking ceiling in our room. Oh, and no free breakfast. What kinda lousy hotel doesn't supply you with free breakfast?? But whatev.. there were 2 pools and the location was just ideal.

Here's a recommendation... when you're at Short Sands (by the way, I think this, my 9000th trip to York, is the one where I've at last correctly established in my brain which beach is Long Sands & which is Short Sands) have lunch at the pub at the Union Bluff Hotel. The food was delish and not overly pricey, plus you have a great view of Short Sands without being in the midst of all the hubbub. The dude one table over from us was an unbelievable douchebag, but probably the guy's not there all the time (has probably since returned home to MA) so I recommend the establishment most heartily.

Also scored a cheap (but cute!) souvenir hoodie and a foxy pair of flip flops (they're plaid).

Even though the a.m. weather was sorta questionable, Saturday wound up being pretty nice and we were able to get in about 3 hrs of beach QT. Then Saturday night we took a bus into Ogunquit. We all got drunk, but didn't synchronize it right, so everybody hit their peak buzz at different times. I was the poor schmoe to hit peak last. We'd gotten a taxi back to the Anchorage, Katrina was nodding off over her book, Laura was snuggled up with Sudoku, and I'm all "We're walking to the Union Bluff for a nightcap! Huh? C'mon! I could walk but we'll take the trolley if you guys want! Is the trolley still running? Let's go! C'mon guys! Helloooo?" Needless to say there was no afterparty at the U-Bluff. I had to settle for painting my toenails. Granted, I painted 'em a dazzlingly lovely green that I am quite smitten with now, but it was a less than thrilling endeavor at the time.


Katrina was rather mortifying in Ogunquit. She was freaked out by the ubiquitous homosexuality. It didn't bother me in the slightest, and though I found her attitude foolish and backward, I am usually content to leave people to their own (well-rooted) opinions. I don't consider myself some great opener of closed minds... no doubt this is due to my non-confrontational nature. What actually was mortifying was her LOUD vocalization of her views. I was actually relieved that my super high heels permitted me from keeping pace with L & K. I think even if I'd worn sensible shoes, I would have kept a good distance away from them (well, K anyways. My sister was fine)

I instigated Katrina by telling her my dream of bringing a gay guy into my posse of friends. I have all the makings of fabulosity, but a gay guy friend would be a big step toward fully attaining it (fabulosity, that is). I mentioned it just to instigate K, but I was half serious about it, really. I mean, it's really nice how they just compliment freely without the aid of gunpoint coercion. I mean, maybe praise that's so frequent is less apt to be sincere, but I suppose that's okay too. I certainly value sincerity, yet at the same time, I have never been one to turn up my nose at empty flattery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A gay man will also not think twice about telling you when you look like ass...or act like an ace.