Friday, August 13, 2010

Runway rants

Anybody watching this season of Project Runway? Weh-ell, we's only 3 eps into it, so getting caught up is still doable. If you're like me you've loved the show in the past and after a couple of seasons' neglect, intending to tune in, you're recommitting yourself for Season 8.(Well, to be entirely accurate, I was totally faithful seasons 1-3, skipped season 4, came back for seasons 5-6, and skipped last season entirely) Even if you're not like me, just tune in because I command you to (and because you love me and SO enjoy pandering to my every whim)

I find it's hard not to rule by personality when watching this show. Ideally, one should be judging on talent and talent alone. But you only get a sense of these folks' talent one design at a time. Like, in the season premiere they will show a glimpse of some of the designers' portfolios...but only a few and if you blink, you'll miss it. I would love for them to do like a 1/2 hour pre-season show that documents the auditions.But they don't, so anyways. . . you're stuck getting dribs and drabs of each designer's style and in the meantime, it's tough not to pick your faves according to personality.

Initially, I was excited by Gretchen. Her introductory blurb mentioned her having a "70s aesthetic"--I could get behind that. Then I loved her Ep1 dress and was glad she won that challenge. I liked her Ep 2 get up, and even if I did think Valerie's dress more deserving of a win, I wasn't *appalled* that Gretch won again. But I found myself saying, during episode 3, "if Gretchen wins again, I will THROW MY DIET COKE AT THE TV!!" (luckily, beverage lobbing did not end up being necessary)

I wouldn't say I've done a complete 180, and am now anti-Gretchen. I guess I'm on the fence. She is smug and know-it-ally...this seems irrefutable. But I can't decide if she is truly so immensely, obnoxiously smug and know-it-ally as she is coming off now. I mean, every good PR season needs a villain...don't tell me the editors don't have that in mind. But they've done an effective job spinning her as a pain-in-the-ass, I do for sure find her annoying. Particularly her "CAN I TALK NOW.." moment backstage at the runway show. I tend to hate people who do "CAN I TALK NOW?" But you know who I'm finding even more disdain-worthy ?? Everybody talking smack about Gretchen. I sure as hell have a catty streak, I won't lie. But I have a guilty, Catholic catty streak that does battle daily with my "let's give everybody the benefit of the doubt" streak. But, yes, the cattiness is there, and I comprende the catty impulse. But I tend to take care whom I let loose the cattiness with. And gawwwd, if I were being filmed...I'd be absolutely the soul of discretion. I know...I would be a miserable failure on reality TV-- emotionally guarded, low drama, quasi-literate. Siiiigh..it's a curse..and here I soooo had my heart set on popping up in Season 3 of Jersey Shore. But anyways April & Peach I thought were looking pretty shabby by all their bitching and dissing they were doing. They probably make perfect roomies, those two. And again, I'm not saying they're wrong, that Gretch is utterly lovely but... it is not false to dislike someone and keep mum about it. It's just civil.

So by contrast, I'm kinda liking all these people who are not griping about Gretchen. Surely they want to. But they're taking the high road-- I dig that. Andy seems --thus far--to be a sweet kid...so I was glad he won. Out of the top 3 the judges picked, he deserved it for sure, in my opinion. Though I dunno if I woulda picked those 3 as a top 3. There were 4 I liked best-- Michael C did that awesome red get up...that mighta been my absolute fave. I also woulda picked :Christopher, Andy, &Valerie. Yeah, they don't do a top *4*--I know, I know. I just don't think Gretchen deserved that spot. Her work was definitely NOT bottom 3 material, but I think she got put in the top 3 for dramatic purposes only. Yeah, yeah, she made separates, and the jacket was cool, I'll give her that. But BFD on the shirt and the skirt was cool and spangly-sparkly, but it was that way out of the package I reckon. All she really had to do was to skirt-ify it. Big whoop. Since I can't do a top 4, I woulda had it be Andy, Valerie & Michael C. But I did really dig Christopher's.,..

Oh, and as for the elimination, I was in TOTAL agreement. That broad seemed nice enough but that outfit was bush league. . . .foliage pun totally intended :) !!!

No comments: