Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I was watching some old Soul Train the other night (I effing LOVE that show). Was kinda wishing actually, that I looked like Chaka Khan circa 1975. Behold how very amazing she is--



And of course, awesome voice too (durr). If that were me, I would probably rehab that weird hybrid coiff (it's not simply a wild bushy mane, just that would be OK, but there are straight, flat tendrils trailing out from under the bushiness that make it odd) but for the most part I'd be pretty content with my aesthetic situation.


Comcast on Demand has a whole bunch of Soul Train offerings: they offer up clips, and then clip playlists, and 1 or 2 full episodes. I like the full eps because they include the original commercials (90% of which are for Afro Sheen hair product or Ultra Sheen cosmetics) I don't know why I so enjoy old commercials but I do. There was this really cool 7up commercial I LOVED but incredibly, couldn't track down on YouTube. Well, I discovered during my searching that 7up put out a lot of pretty rad advertising in the 70s. So I'll give you one of those here (in lieu of my commercial which was like a cartoon anthropomorphised hamburger amidst art nouveau-ish back drops-- not to be confused with the funny anthropomorphised burger guy that walked into a menswear shop. Anyways this one's kinda achieves a pop art Busby Berkley type deal...

And lastly, was pondering over music of the Soul Train ilk and hmmmm..I decided on what is my very favorite disco song ever. Seeing it in perfomed thusly adds a whole 'nuddda level of awesomeness.

The co-lead singer is wearing A TURBAN. Not donning it in any ethnic way, but rather as a *glamour* turban. Marvy. And those dance moves!! Heavens!! Great moves for astounding the rest of the dancefloor (or for extinguishing your ass if, by chance, it were to burst into flame)

No comments: