Saturday, May 15, 2010

Spending, $pending....

I downloaded this iPod-to-PC transfer software that allowed me to fix my iTunes imbroglio. My laptop now has fully stocked, fully functional iTunes on it (that the pod is synced to! YAY!) So of course, this swell turn of events was cause for a little iTunes spending spree. Here is what I bought---
--Music--

*OMG [Usher] : I like the stadium chanting in this song. I am also--against my better judgement--heartily amused by the use of the word "boobies" in the lyrics. I will always, ALWAYS laugh at the word boobies. That's some 10yr old, dwarfed part of my psyche that I just can't seem to shake.

*Breakeven [the Script]

*The Equestrian Statue [Bonzo Dog Doodah Band] How terrif are the Bonzos?? If you have no clue, then I say you should acquaint yourself with them post haste and decide how terrific you find them.

*Button Up Your Overcoat [Bonzo Dog Doodah Band] I've always loved this song. Even though its message is bossy and possessive--technically. I find it very sweet. I sing it to my niecey all the time. Of course, the Bonzos put their own special spin on it, but they do it well, I think. I am pretty sure that line about "don't step on 3rd rails" was not in the original lyrics. Haa. Still, I most like the line "Keep away from bootleg hooch, when you're on a spree"


*Look out there's a Monster Coming [Bonzo Dog Doodah Band] I have Craig Ferguson's show for introducing me to this excellent song. My favorite part is the deadpan "Grunt. Grunt."


*Feeling Good [Nina Simone] This is another song I picked up from the telly. I had (and quite like) Simone's "My Baby Just Cares for Me" but that was on some jazz compilation I didn't know any other songs of hers. They featured this song on an episode of Chuck and I was taken with it, had to track down on the 'net what song it was. I like her kind of spare old-time bluesy singing juxtaposed with the big orchestral sound.

*Uprising [Muse]

*Rude Boy [Rihanna] I begin to suspect that I cannot resist songs that have "Boom Boom Boom" somewhere in the lyrics. Seriously.

*Carry Out [Timbaland avec JT] Timbaland & Timberlake ...these dudes were predestined to collaborate. This song makes my ass wiggle autonomously

*1901 [Phoenix] Looooooove this song. It kinda (for some reason I can't articulate) reminds me of "Kids" by MGMT, which I also have mad love for.

* Holiday [Vampire Weekend] J'adore Vamp Wknd --beaucoup j'adore. This is them at their bestest (well their best off "Contra" at least) And yes...I am well aware of how fucked up my francais is

*Cousins [Vampire Weekend]

*Horchata [Vampire Weekend] I predict this will be the first song ever to inspire me to go on a bev-quest. Where would one procure horchata? Anyone? Tips?? Suggestions???

* On the Street Where You Live [Mr Hudson & The Library] Yes, it's that "On the Street Where You Live"...My Fair Lady... Mr Hudson does Freddy Eynsford-Hill. Oddly cool. Me likey.

--TV--
*The Mighty Boosh- Episode 2.05 "The Legend of Old Gregg"-- I'm just getting into this show and am quite smitten, but I felt a bit reluctant to pay for an episode on account of Comcast offering up free eps on their Comcast on Demand. But I *had* to cast aside this reluctance for the Old Gregg episode. SO good. And at $1.99 it was cheaper than most of the TV eps sold on iTunes. I think I'm also going to shill out for episode 3.02 ("Journey to the Center of the Punk").

*The State --Episodes 2 &3-- No Barry & LeVon pudding time here, but still VERY funny


In other spending news, I kicked off the weekend buying a new wine. Actually it was a very odd grocery expedition yesterday. I went in to Shaws to buy Jello chocolate mousse but came away with--
XOCHiTL Cajun style tortilla chips-- XOCHiTL is a great brand. They're tortilla chips like I like 'em-- very thin & salty (although this Cajun variety is more spicy than salty) and they come in a GINORMOUS bag

Jones Brand 97% Fat Free Canadian Bacon-- Canadian bacon ROX. I think, as bacon goes, traditional American bacon (hereafter to be referred to as "BACON") is unquestionably superior. I mean, there's good reason that there's whole religions devoted to BACON. Nothin' can touch it!! Canadian bacon, though, makes for a stellar ham substitute. I mean, ham is generally pretty shitty for you, unless it's sliced microscopically thin. But Canadian bacon--3 thickish slices is a serving and 1 serving is a mere 1 point!! Yes, I am doing that again, but no, I don't really wanna talk about it right now.
La Vieille Ferme Cote du ventoux red wine -- I can't really say what type of wine this is--I guess it's sort of a melange. I was in the mood for a red and this one had a "Save $2 now!" coupon on the bottle. And yet, it had a very classy looking bottle. Honestly, I know next to nuttin' about wine and I very often make my decisions based on bottle label aesthetics. (In related news-- you generally can judge a book by its cover. Your frothy chick lit tends to rely on a lot of fluorescent colors--fluorescent pink especially)
Anyways, I tried this tonight and it was pretty decent... I like it better than the last wine I tested out on a whim (that was Malbec) My favorite red is still Beaujolais though

JELLO Mousse Tempations 6pack--"Chocolate Indulgence" flavor. OK, so it's not quite as great as the homemade stuff, but it certainly doesn't suck.

Now my omega-3 binging--

King Oscar sardines -mediterranean style w/ olive oil, black olives, garlic powder & red pepper. (2 cans)
2 packets Starkist Chunk Light tuna packed in H2O.

2 cans anchovies...I can't remember what brand. But after consuming 1/2 can of the sardines tonight, I have conclusively decided that I prefer anchovies to sardines

Also, I was really jonesin' for gorgonzola cheese but I forgot to grab some.

In line, I was staring at my groceries on the conveyor belt, and contemplating "What do my purchases say about me ??" I know that's goofy pop-psychology, but I always think that, simply because I am in the habit of ogling other shoppers' groceries (whoever winds up in line ahead of me or behind me) and trying to "profile" them based on those picks.

And today, I skipped my alumni float planning meeting (that, too, is another post for another day. Remind me..) and went to Big Lots instead. I hadn't been there in quite a while and of course found lotsa stuff I just HAD to buy. Some of it was for my sister's fam, which is good.. because I find that spending guilt is greatly alleviated when you don't keep the goods for yourself (makes sense).
For myself, I got-- a silver cuff bracelet, softlips brand 2pack of lip balm-- vanilla and sheer pink, Revlon ColorStay sheer in sheer Plum (I have this very same type lipstick in Coral & Ruby. I dig it mucho. I like sheer lip color--sheer or glossy-sheer. Y'know I've seen in magazines, where they do these articles highlighting beauty trends, and they spotlight matte lipstick and they show a whole myriad of starlets making matte lipstick look tres cute, but I swear, it always looks STUPID on yours truly) LaCrosse 3-in-1 manicure tool, a movie called Perfume ( their DVDs are $3!! How can I resist that??) a small photo book about porches (a coffee table book...but I've taken the liberty of stowing it pottyside in el bano) Pace 3 chili salsa, Mrs Penny's organic black beans (I'm on a bit of a bean kick right now... just realized how much I like garbanzos, actually)

For my sister I got a book about the town Celebration, FL. This is kind of a joke. When we were in the Kissimee/Orlando area on vaca back in 2004 we kinda blundered into this town and were freaked out by how eerily perfect the place was. It was very tidy. No toys in the yards. Not a lot of people around either. I thought it was funny to find the book (even funnier that it's published by Disney press...considering that Celebration is owned/was constructed by Disney, that makes the book pretty much a bulked-up brochure) I am going to give it to her and say, "Informative look at urban planning...or Stepfordian propaganda? YOU DECIDE"

For the kids I got-- Old fashioned sports-themed wall decals (this is specifically for my nephew Seth...they will fit in very nicely with his jocktastic room) DVDs-- Leonard Part 6 (ok, I think this movie was a big craptacular of Howard the Duck proportions, but I think it has a silliness that the kiddos will dig) and the Best of Beakman's World (I used to watch this show on Sat morns... I don't remember anything specifically except that one all-about-boogers episode when they crawled through a giant schnozz. Great stuff.

In closing, I apologize for such an immensely uninspired post. I felt like I hadn't posted in FOR-EV, and to get back into it with something clever and/or original it would take a hell of a jumpstart. A feeble post like this...it only took a weensie li'l jumpstart.

A'righty.. ciao for now, my lovies...

No comments: