Sunday, May 02, 2010

meet my baby tax attorney Agnes Q Vandersloot

There is a photo of a mystery baby in my office. This photo was on the floor, and somebody (we don't even know who retrieved it from the floor) believing it to be my coworker Holly's granddaughter, put it in Holly's stuff (Holly sits next to me in the office). Well, Holly doesn't know the mystery tot, but she presumes that if some random-ass picture appeared suddenly amongst her belongings, it was likely *me* that snuck it in there. That's a pretty reasonable presumption there, but in this case it was incorrect. Well, anyways, instead of asking me about the pic, she slid it on to the edge of my desk without a word while I was busy on the phone. And so suddenly, I see this Olan Mills photo of this baby girl with sort of a poofy "baby bouffant" coiffure and I'm like "WHO THE HELL IS THIS BABY??" I *try* and keep the at-work cussing to a minimum, but I happened to be rather frazzled on this particular day, and for some odd reason, a mystery baby cropping up on my desk just further stressed me out (when really it oughtta just be. . .bemusing, eh?)

Still don't know who the baby is or who the baby belongs to. I have slid the photo into the crack on the top of my glass half-partition so that she is standing up & facing out into the office. I'm hoping someone traipsing past will stop in their tracks and say "Heeeey--I have been looking EVERYWHERE for that fotografia!!" Haven't heard that yet though. But about a half dozen times a day now, I hear "Ohhh cute--who is this?" or "Is this your baby?" I quickly tired of the question and got bored with rehashing the true tale of the pic (as rehashed last paragraph... it was pretty dull, right?) So I've made it a game to ad lib some smart-ass or weird answer. "Who is that?" "Mrs Higginbottom, my cleaning woman" "Is this your baby?" "It could be YOUR baby...how much are you willing to spend??" (that one particularly shocked Holly...she simply does not see the comedic value of baby peddling, it seems)

I have also joked that if no one claims the bambina, I am going to take the photo and bring it with me to my 15 yr high school reunion (which really is going down next month) and pass her off as my little girl. I really do think my real progeny would be cuter (I mean you should see some of *MY* baby photos--I was effing ADORABLE!!) but I don't have time to crank one of thems out before June 19th, now do I ?? I'll be like..." oh yeah, I didn't mention it previously, but I like ....bred. I was totally going to mention it on the Facebook, but then people would be nagging me to post photos and this photo is the only one I have, and I couldn't scan it because our scanner would MELT the photo...for reals, it gets wicked hot. That's the last time I buy electronics from a van, man"
Ah, we are having a good chortle about it now, but I bet more people do that than you think (it doesn't just happen in ABC Family movies) And kudos to them if they can pull it off with a straight face. No, I shall 'fess up to being a childless singleton. And I feel like, if I'm not bringing a burgeoning li'l family to the proverbial table, I really should transform my singlehood into some glam Carrie Bradshaw style, jet setty singlehood. But then I think...what I should do is not give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of me. I hear people claim that all the time (that they don't care what anyone thinks of them) and I'm always very skeptical of those people. They are either lying bastids, or they are really something else--superhuman, subhuman or just defective. I mean, I don't think it healthy to OBSESS over what others think, but isn't it an intrinsic impulse, hard-wired into the human condition, to crave others' good opinions? I believe so. Yeah, those carefree "I don't give a damn what other people think of me" types...the vast majority is full of GUANO.

No comments: