Tuesday, March 02, 2010

UFS

I was picking the mail up from the mailbox at the end of our building today and I had a slightly oddball encounter. I was retreating from said mailbox and walking up the walkway to Dartware (one of our neighbor businesses) is this middle-aged fellow who, in one hand, has a plastic plate with a half sandwich on it (I neglected to note what variety of sammie) and with his other hand he was pushing a unicycle. I have seen someone unicycling in that parking lot before, but I don’t think it was this same guy I saw today. So I have hatched a theory that there is a unicycling cult at that company. I haven’t decided yet if they’re ALL about unicycling, or if unicycling is just a piece of their Core Values. They may be UFS (Unicyclists For Satan).

Anyways, I chatted with the sandwich-bearing unicyclist this afternoon, and he didn’t seem overtly Satanic. I jokingly warned him “Don’t you DARE eat that while unicycling! You could CHOKE. That is very dangerous.” And he said , “ I won’t! There is a lot of paperwork involved “ --or something like that, I’m paraphrasing, I hope I didn’t hear him wrong about paperwork (I’m 99% sure that’s what he said) because I then said “Oh, the waivers? Yeah, I can imagine…”

5 comments:

Jill said...

Last school year I frequently drove by a little girl (middle school aged) on my way in to work who rode a unicycle to school.

Sandra said...

I'm curious--how do you KNOW she was going to school?? It just seems a little dubious-- I feel pretty sure that kids who ride unicycles are homeschoolers

Jill said...

She was about 100 yards from the elementary school I drive by every day. And, she had a backpack...just an assumption, I guess...

Sandra said...

Ok, Ok, Ok…decent assumption, NANCY DREW.
I still maintain that unicycling is a pastime for homeschoolers. If this girl you saw was a real and not hallucinated girl, than she’s just an anomaly, I guess.

Jill said...

OR...she USED to be a homeschooler and now is just the quirky kid on the unicycle...