Tuesday, March 09, 2010

CRITICAL COOKIE EPILOGUE

I couldn't just leave the question out there, I had to go nosing around wiki and I have returned triumphant. I learned that Samoas also came to be known as Caramel Delites and Samoas and Caramel Delites are actually coexisting. Well, I don't believe any troops are selling both Samoas and Caramel Delites (though there IS a slight difference--I'll get to that in a moment) but they coexist on a national scale. Wikipedia further elucidates--

"Samoas® and the alternate version, Caramel deLites, are the second most popular variety of Girl Scout cookie sold by the Girl Scouts of the USA. Both brands consist of a circular vanilla cookie about 2 inches in diameter with a small hole in the center, covered in caramel and toasted coconut and then striped with chocolate. This is one of the few cookies in the group that has differences depending on the bakery, which is the reason the cookies are sold under two different names. Samoas® are made by Little Brownie Bakers. They are circular, with an orange color and are thicker from top to bottom, usually they also contain more caramel per coconut, and they are made with dark chocolate. The Caramel deLites, made by ABC Bakers, are actually hexagonal, with a more yellowish tinge, are made with milk chocolate rather than dark chocolate, and more of the cookie comes through in the flavor because of the lower caramel content. Overall they are both very popular, and most people never notice the differences. Both varieties come in purple boxes. The two types of cookie account for 19% of Girl Scout cookie sales, making them the second most popular types. "

Now, my GSC peddlar was selling Samoas not Caramel Delites, but I'd like to figure out how to buy a box of each, just to disprove that author's smug "..and most people never notice the differences" assertion. Betcha I would!! I have a HIGHLY EVOLVED palate!!

I feel a bit bad...like with my copious wiki-text pasting, I have sucked all the mystery out of Girl Scout Cookies. Well, here's another cookie puzzler to ponder...I SWEAR I won't turn around and Google this in 5 minutes, I will leave it a total mystery for your pondering enjoyment.
WHY DON'T THEY SELL COOKIES AT MCDONALDS ANYMORE?? Their mini chocolate chippers were fairly decent, but I especially LOOOOOVED the McDonaldland kind. All the cookies looked grotesquely dissimilar to the characters they were 'sposed to represent, but that was half the fun...

1 comment:

Paula said...

I love Samoas and have not heard of these said Caramel delites. I have purchased Girl South Cookies in 3 states - covering the Northeast, the Southwest and the Southeast areas of our fine country.