Friday, October 17, 2008

on the tube 10-17

Tonight I watched the season finale of Project Runway, 2 eps of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 1 ep of The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and then the movie IronMan.

Firstly, Project Runway -- the outcome was totally not a shocker. Not because I'm such a dab hand at predicting reality show competitions, but because I made my customary visit to my pal Kara's blog and pretty much the first line of her latest posting read something like :"LEANNE WON PROJECT RUNWAY" instantly ruining it for yours truly. Grr. That Yakkety McBlabbermouth. Ok fiiiine, so she's not. . . . Scottish. Make that "Blabbermouthski"

Haa. Just foolin' K. Although you did inadvertantly spoil the PR finale for me. Truth is, I didn't care too much. I was really rooting the mostest for Jerrell & after he got the boot I was done caring. Don't get me wrong, it's still a worthwhile hour of television (really about 35minutes when you super-FF through all commercials) But after Jerrell was eliminated I didn't care who won. OK, well Kenley is a bitch, and tremendously annoying but... in all honesty, I can't say that I hate her clothes. Especially those in her Bryant Park collection. Like, she didn't dazzle me in the challenges .In fact, I just couldn't shake the feeling that they kept her on just for her abrasive (and drama condusive) personality. But I really liked her final collection. It pains me to concede that, but I did.



Conversely, I liked what Leanne produced all throughout the season, but her final collection sorta disappointed me somewhat. I did like it, but I personally like a bit more color. And then there were the gills. I can't see why Kors& co. kept calling them "petals" when they were clearly gills. Whatev. Point is, I did tire of the gills on every-damn-thing. But I do think, overall, Leanne has a very real talent that is very unique & innovative , and also think (as the judge's panel seemed to as well) that Leanne can transfer her innovativeness to other ideas. I was wondering if any significance can be read into the fact that Kenley crafts this signature sleek,smooth, & bouncy Betty Page-esque coiffure on a daily basis and she does an impeccable job on her makeup. Whereas Leanne--maybe dabs on a smidgen o' foundation and doesn't appear to own a brush or comb. It's as if Leanne's look is saying "I am ALL ABOUT my work. Channelling all my artistry into the clothes" Maybe not. It's just a notion that flitted through my mind. Although, seriously, now that she's won, has some moolah, has a sweet ride, she can "rest on her laurels" for a spell and maybe test drive a makeover. It could mean a serious boyfriend upgrade. Did you see her fellah? If she's going to be A-list, she needs that bf upgrade!!

And Korto...well...her friends and family were lovely. Her collection was lovely ..though,really, it didn't knock me on my ass or anything. But in keeping with her M.O. everything was very well made. Although, I can't agree with Tim on his fave...some beige thing. For me, that was the low point of her show. But to descend into pettiness/ cattiness now...I was sick of seeing Korto all weepy and sick of her going braless. I was, like, embarrassed for her, clad in some of those thin fabrics and unabashedly *pointing* at Tim Gunn. She's some kinda fashionista, right? She must know they make strapless bras.


The reactions: Leanne cracked me up at the very end of the show when she busted out her rapper persona and said "$100,000 dollahs--drinks are on this BRUTHA!!" Loved that.


And then the losers-- sure I get being disappointed but these chicks were utterly despondent!! It was STUPID. Sorry, but I just could not drum up any sympathy for 'em. Korto was all "My heart is bleeeeding" and Kenley sobs "I'm CRUSHED" ...meanwhile, I'm like "Oh, please." Yeah, yeah, you wanna win, of course, but truly, just getting to Bryant Park is enough. (Can you tell I'm not the most competitive of souls??) Do you know how much exposure you get being there? How many famous folk are checking out yer threads?? In that regard, I feel like all of them kinda won. Leanne just won the most. I mean, jinkies, practically everyone who gets on that show-- even if they're dropped early on in the season-- sees substantial career boostage afterwards. It's like being on The Price is Right. Maybe you didn't win the Showcase Showdown, but you're not exactly headin' home empty-handed either.

Tim Gunn though, is 10X more adorable than Bob Barker (or Drew Carey for that matter). I just love Tim. I want him to be my fabulous gay adoptive dad. I could just see him coaching me on my everyday life. "These sounds your car is making. This CONCERNS me." "You have a budget of just $100. until your next pay day. And you want to go out for drinks? At Elixir?? Hmmmm. OK! Make it work!!" Make it work...love that. That is a primo mantra. Or motto (emblazoned on my new adoptive-paternal coat of arms). Or both.



I then found that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was one of the gratis TV-on-Demand offerings for Comcast(@ casa de mis padres). Which kinda vexed me...as I've now found 2 ways to catch up on Sunny absolutely FREE OF CHARGE. (Comcast On Demand & on hulu ) But this I discover after I've bought 2 episodes of the current season on iTunes (well, I've actually bought 3 episodes of Sunny-- 2 from this season and 1 from last season)




Really, I'm not much of a cartoon buff, but I love Flapjack. It's like the cutest cartoon ever.

Flapjack & Family Guy are the really the only cartoons I watch. Although I do have the Dungeons & Dragons DVD set on my Amazon wish list. That was my Saturday a.m. *must-see* when I was a young 'un. That and Muppet Babies.

I really liked Iron Man. O' course, I love Robert Downey Jr...probably that has a lot to do with it. I've probably said it before, but I must reiterate: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the cinematic cat's jammies. If you've not seen it, skip renting and just buy the sucker. Not only is it a fine RD Jr fix, but it's got Val Kilmer too.

I like Jamie Foxx too, so maybe I'll go see The Soloist (whenever the studio gets around to releasing that)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am severly behind the times and just watched the PR ending last weekend....you crack me up, the whole time I was chanting "Put on a Bra."
-P