Saturday, October 04, 2008

Old Dan Tucker...

.. was a mighty man. Washed his face in a frying pan. Combed his hair with a wagon wheel. Died with a toothache in his heel!!

I never did get to bake a pie today. Mostly on account of my sleeping in so damn late (and having to be at my sister's by 4:30). Just didn't have time. But I did find a recipe to use and wrote up a list of needed ingredients. So I'll get it done tomorrow...

I did watch some of the mma fights tonight. The main event wound up being Kimbo Slice vs Seth Petruzelli and not Slice vs Ken Shamrock as previously planned. I'll bet Kimbo is--in retrospect--miffed about that change of plans. It took all of 14 SECONDS for Petruzelli to take him out . It was pretty rad, I must say. The ref said "Start fightin'!!" and Kimbo advanced, trying to back Petruzelli into the wall and P shifted into offense somethin' FIERCE. 2 kicks and then he got Kimbo down on the mat with a jab to..the chin, I think it was. Then he pinned him down and kept on drilling him in the head. And shortly thereafter the ref called TKO & victory for Petruzelli.

I didn't think Slice would be defeated--partly because of his weight advantage, but mostly due to how very SCARY he looks. But I was pleased to be mistaken. Kimbo Slice bugs me. Also, the winner has the same 1st name as my nephew, plus he had these cool pink patches in his hair . And I thought the goofy victory prance he did around the cage was utterly charming. But I think I'm in the minority on this...just judging from crowd response. It was predominately booing.

Check out the heavyweight champ on the Elite XC website. Having not seen this dude (Silva) fight, I'm going to presume his top skill is being able to withstand any & all blows to the chin. The dude's head is a good 85% chinnage...it's astounding.

Later I watched SNL. Musical guest was the Killers. I had forgotten how much I dig them. There's something very herky-jerky and David Byrne-esque in the way Brandon Flowers performs. I was thinking he was looking a bit gaunt, though. Like, I recall finding him rather foxy in the "Mr Brightside' vid, but he wasn't all that I remembered him being. But I dig their music & they sure do put on a show. That's what matters. I'd love to go to a Killers concert.

Other highlights of this SNL-- I found Anne Hathaway to be a quite capable host --in particular she was very cute & funny as Mary Poppins. The digital short was decent. The one thing that really cracked my shit up (nearly woke my sister up w/ my laughing) was Andy Samberg doing "Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals" Very simple premise, but it was so weird & goofy that it really slayed me. I SO wish I had a vid to post!! Perhaps in a few days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Petruzelli was the best no question about it,kimbo is no good when hes fighting somebody who knows this busines of martial arts we re talking professionals ....yeah