Tuesday, October 21, 2008

it's a mad, mad, mad, mad post

Hey kids.

I started to watch It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World on Comcast OnDemand tonight but my attention span wasn't quite up to the challenge. What's the running time on that puppy?? {popping on to IMDB to check run time & get link} Ahh, a mere 192 minutes... but it feels like 3 yrs. Not that I don't like the classics--I DO!! And there were several bits I enjoyed tonight before I ditched the flick. I liked---well, why don't I just show you? (I really don't have all that much to post)




A real bona fide early 60s Twist is a fucking laff- riot everytime. BIG yukks.This would be a prime example of that. That girl is especially funny. I would have to be in a very heavy, heavy fog, narcotically speaking, to be able to maintain such an expressionless countenance whilest shaking my groove thangie.

I also liked Jim Backus's small role in the movie, as lush pilot Tyler Fitzgerald.




"What could happen to an Old Fashioned, a'right??" HAA! Extra funny since Backus had the swankiest voice to ever come outta a larynx.

I've seen the flick before, when I was a kid. I used to watch LASER DISCS (those are such a weird bit of media archaeology) at my friend Jenny's. Her folks had quite a LASER DISC library, but the only titles I recall specifically is ...Mad World & Foul Play (with Goldie Hawn & Chevy Chase).

I saw some wigs in Walmart last night, really funky colored ones. Only $9.88. What is it with Walmart tacking 88 cents to the end of their prices? Anyways, I was considering one as part of my Halloween get-up. I know crimping my hair (the original coif scheme) is way cheaper, but a wig would be way easier (and more Hologram-ish) When I take a curling iron to my hair, I invariably miss big hanks of it (particularly in the back) and crimping is even more labor intensive. Now, krumping isn't labor intensive at all but it's key that you have the proper music and that you don't try to do it while crimping. Yeah, I'm a little out of practice,but I can krump. I can krump like a bastard!!

No I can't. Not truly. I was fibbing so that I would appear "cool".

Speaking of dance moves I can't quite master. ..I was listening to Public Enemy's " Can't Do Nuttin' For Ya, Man" and it occurred to me that it would be a primo song for a move I call "Crazy Hip Hop Head". It's this very distinctive head wobble that I can identify quite readily but can't achieve. It's just noggin movement--nothing overly strenuos-- but I still can't get it right. When I do it, it comes off all Roxbury Guy-like. Which is not the proper technique AT ALL. Other dance phenoms I have unsuccessfully tried to emulate (solo, in the privacyof my own home or car)--

the dance Claire does on the landing in The Breakfast Club's gratuitous dance montage.

the ass-shaking-independently-of-the-rest-of-the-body move that all the cookout ho's do in Juvenile's video for "Back That Ass Up" There's a name for that move, and I do know it, but it's rather icky and I'd rather call it an "autonomous ass bounce" even if it means nobody knows what I'm talkin' 'bout. Anyways, semantics aside, that motion is totally impossible. Having never seen it in person, I'm going to conclude that it's all the work of CGI.

But in positive news, after watching about a half dozen instructional videos on YouTube, I am fairly confident that I WILL be able to moonwalk with a spot o' practice. Don't snigger. The moonwalk is the cat's freakin' jammies.

Oh, and I think I will buy a wig. It's only $9.88 after all..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The autonomous ass bounce is feasiable in real life --- I've seen it, scary but true.

- P