Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The sleep timer

...is one of the most brilliant inventions ever. I use it constantly-- on my TV, on my iPod...

I really wish they could put a sleep timer feature on a PC. I very easily lose track of time when I'm online. I will tell myself "I'm just going to browse around the internets for an hour", but I get sucked into these tangents and before I know it, I look down at the taskbar clock and 2 1/2 HOURS have sped by. Tempus fugit, indeed. But see, if I had me a PC outfitted with a sleep timer, I could say "I'm just going to browse around the internets for an hour" and make that a FIRM hour.

So ,I'm left to rely on good ol' fashioned WILLPOWER and that's never proven exceedingly reliable for yours truly. As it happens, I'm just now taking a break from a bad mammajamma of a tangent (I don't know if "tangent" is the right word...that makes it seem as if it's a verbal thing and it's not really) where I am poring over the Lifetime network's directory of Lifetime Original Movies. Only looking at the Christmas ones, mind you. I'm a sucker for cheezy holiday TV. The big purveyors of this being : Lifetime, ABC Family, the Hallmark Channel, and possibly Oxygen. I can't decide if Lifetime or ABC Fam is my favorite. I watched a bizarro one last year where Jamie Gertz & Dylan Walsh (I heart Dylan Walsh) are an estranged married couple who go snowmobiling out in the middle of absolute nowhere and get stranded like absolute jackasses. Based on a true story (to some degree) . I'm trying to find that one in the Lifetime cannon. Also last year I had kinda been keen on seeing "Christmas Caper" with Shannon Doherty, but I missed it. Wonder if that is a Lifetime one (and if I can catch it this year). Oh, and since I've already launched well off on this topic and exposed myself as a total schmendrick, I may as well proceed to confess that I not only watched & enjoyed Holiday in Handcuffs the other weekend, but I actually DVRed it. Y'know even though I hated that Sabrina show, I always find Melissa Joan Hart to be quite endearing in her dorkiness. And I thought I wouldn't be able to stomach a flick with Mario Lopez as the lead. He's easy enough on the ol' retinas alright, but his acting is generally sorta crappish. It wasn't any better for Holiday in Handcuffs, but crappish acting seemed ok for this kinda fare.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this blog is excellent. however it would be PERFECT if there was more discussion of high school reunion. i mean im as attracted to dylan walsh as the next guy, but he is no dan the player

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

First off, if you're looking for a great christmas movie i highly recommend "The Christmas Shoes." If you've already seen it I would very much enjoy your interpretation of it.

Secondly, I must agree with the last posters assestment that we could use some high school reunion analyzing in here. As easy on the eyes as Mario Lopez is, there just isn't enough chatter about high school reunion on the internet.

Sandra said...

High School Reunion?? Is that on anymore? I watched a season of that (if we're talking about the same show.. I think we are) on TV Land a while back...I did really like it.

Anonymous said...

Of course you liked it...I've never met anyone who didn't. I don't believe it's on at the moment, but I suspect the show is receiving a bidding war between abc, nbc, cbs, and fox so it really can only be a matter of time before it's back.

Hopefully you've had a chance to watch the Christmas Shoes by now. There is also a very touching song that can be purchased on itunes that goes along nicely with the movie.

Anonymous said...

i cant personally speak to the christmas shoes (though i have heard many great things and obviously rob lowe's work speaks for itself), however i agree that high school reunion's triumphant return to the national consciousness is a certainty.

since we are speaking of festive song recommendations, i offer you two, the seminal "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey, and for a little multicultural flavor "Feliz Navidad" (Happy Christmas for all you non Spanish speakers) by Jose Feliciano.

My condolences on the passing of a legend. I look forward to your next (hopefully less somber) post