Tuesday, December 30, 2008

pachalafaka--they whisper it all over Turkey

Hello again turkeyjerkies. A thousand &one pardons for my negligence. Lemme get you up to speed. Shouldn't take long...

Christmas was really nice. Seems like for the month of December I was a bit stressed that I wasn't going to be able to get everything done that I wanted to do. I got my cards out a smidge later than I usually do--usually I have 'em mailed around the 14th or 15th but this year I got 'em out on the 19th (with the exception of 3 folks I couldn't get addresses for) and I was a bit relieved after that. And then I finally finished my Christmas shopping practically right at the last minute (12/21) and after that was done, I chillaxed and commenced to fully enjoy the holiday season. There were a few craft projects I never got around to, but oh well. And then Christmas seemed lovely..but it was over too quickly.

I really did well, loot-wise, this Christmas. I don't want to be a total mercenary, but I confess I do take joy in being spoilt....a bit. ..on occasion. It's not as if it's S.O.P. in my life, okay? That sort of reminds me of a quote I read on my desk calendar (if I might digress momentarily..) according to my Schott's Miscellany desk calendar (excellent desk calendar; I plan on hunting one down for 2009) Charlie Chaplin said "The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury" I think that's interesting in that it sheds a lot of light on what a sicko masochist Chaplin truly was. Ha, ha. Just kidding. I recognize the nobility of that POV, but I can't quite relate. Isn't he being a smidge hyperbolic with that one? Sure, I would definitely say that there are perils to becoming accustomed to luxury. But the saddest thing? Obviously CC had never listened to Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun. I don't even get to the end of the first line of the first verse before hitting >> on my iPod. Why in hell did I ever download that song to begin with??
Anyways, I'm not so much into self-denial as ol' Charlie was, and therefore I rather liked all the stuff I got for Christmas. Lemme see...some highlights-- I scored some cash, some gift cards (iTunes, Price Chopper, BK, Luxury Nails, Molly's restaurant) got a super nice bracelet from my sister. And the DVD of A Christmas Story (although it pains me to be trite, it really is my most favoritest Christmas flick. And it was sucky to own it on VHS. Now I just need someone to find me the Peewee's Playhouse Christmas Special on DVD and my holiday movie marathon is perfecto!!) She also got me a jumbo box of Nerds (white,red, &green for the season). For the third year in a row. It's an established holiday tradition now, I suppose (which is fine by me, as I love me some Nerds).

One of the more peculiar gifts I got was a kimono. A friend of mine made me this cotton kimono in this cute floral print. I wasn't sure how to react to it initially-- it was unexpected. But really I've grown very fond of the thing. I find that slumming around in such an exotic and costumey sort of robe is much more gratifying than schlumping around in your run-of-the-mill terry dealies. In fact, it feels much more like swanning around. And although the primary intransitive verb definition of "swanning" just means "to wander aimlessly or idly; to dally"; it connotes something quite elegant, does it not?

Am definitely keeping my to' up green terry dealie for when I color my hair though.

No comments: