Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Tunes &War Paint

I just spent a wad o' $$$ on Sephora the other day.  I gave my email address to the cashier the last time I was at Sephora in the mall.  Consequently, I now get these "SephoraBeautyInsider" emails all the time.  Usually they are offering 20% off this or 30% off something-er-other and I delete it almost instantaneously.  But the other day I was reeled in by their proffered deal --free perfume sample with order.  Plus, I've kind of had a burgeoning yen for some quality make-up.  I have these kicks where I just, aesthetically, GIVE UP & totally go 100% don't-give-a-shit hagged out everyday.  But after a while of that, (2, 2.5 weeks max) I get very sick of it, and launch into an avid primping kick.  Well, one of the latter kicks kicked in, and I also recently read a Yahoo blurb about this chick Tanya Burr.  She was a makeup counter girl, doing shopper makeovers, and she started doing these YouTube make-up tutorials, and somehow that BLEW UP for her and she was able to ditch her retail gig.  And she got written up on Yahoo...and presumably elsewhere on these internets...
Well heck, if a picture is worth 1000 words, a video embed is worth 100,000. Behold--


She rather impressed me, and yeah, I'll say it, inspired me a bit. I maybe took for granted what artistry can go into slapping on some "warpaint" (as I have been known to refer to it).  Although, I gotta gripe that...seems unfair for this girl to be so skilled with cosmetics. She's naturally gorgeous.

 Y'know,  even in one of my more aesthetically conscientious moods, I've never acceded to a cosmetics clerk makeover.  I think if a Tanya Burr-type had asked, I would consider it...but usually the clerks pitching me a makeover look like evil drag queens.  Something like Divine, but heavier on the lipliner. Ha haa.

But I'm not just frittering away my pay on makeup, I also went  on a bit of an iTunes spree.   I go through phases in my listening preferences.  I have a smattering of every genre on my iPod, but I don't tend to listen to the whole spectrum at once. I go through spells where all I wanna listen to is folk, or like this fall, all I was really in the mood for was classical.  I tend to start jonesin' for hip-hop in the summer months.  Well I've lately craved , I guess you'd class it indie music.  I particularly wanted to discover new artists/ songs and to that end, I started listening to AccuRadio's "Alternative Now!" channel.  Good call, me! I stumbled onto lotsa great stuff there.  I bought a bunch of it this past weekend.    Like, f'rinstance, I am just SMITTEN with this song right now--


The version I downloaded wasn't live, but it didn't differ much from what you see there.  I usually don't like live versions of songs (not as much as the album version anyway) but in this instance, I like the live jam a mili-skoach more just because the accordian sounds even more accordiany.  Love that.
I also learned that I quite like  AWOLNATION. 


"Burn it Down" is probably my second fave (a *close* second) right after "Sail". The "Sail" video's not as fun though.  Also bought the tracks "It's Not Your Fault" and "Guilty Filthy Soul".  In my estimation, 4 stellar songs all on one album is a damned feat.

No comments: