Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Stupid Signs at my Library

I pulled in to the library parking lot tonight and it was almost totally full. I spotted one open slot not too far from the walkway, but I saw it had some signage at the front of it. I very nearly passed it over, because I presumed that it was a Handicapped Parking sign. But I did give it a closer look and discovered it read:

RESERVED FOR FUEL EFFICIENT CARS


Look, I'm not anti-saving-the-planet or anything, but uhhh, nevertheless, FUCK YOU, Kilton Public Library. I am to be punished with inferior parking because I don't have the capital to buy a new vehicle? Yeah, yeah, I was aware of that whole cash-for-clunkers program and NO I didn't take advantage of it. My clunker was not deemed clunky enough, and even if it had been, I don't believe the gov't was about to foot the entire bill for my new ride, and that is exactly what I would need for me to manage an upgrade.


I'm sure the mindset behind that sign is not to punish inefficient car owners, but rather to reward folks who have made the switch for greener wheels. But, daaaaamn...look at the prices at the pump!! So if you are getting 40 mpg then, YAAAY for you. You are duhh--winning!! I don't think further bonuses are required,dammit.


So, yeah, I parked in that space. I figured "Fuel Efficient Cars" is a subjective thing. My car (Toyota Camry) is fuel efficient compared to ohhh, say, a Hummer, no? Let the bastids tow me.


Oh speaking of gas prices... not for nothin' I was delighted to track down this handy website...on the day before a payday that couldn't arrive quickly enough.

Another notable sign at the KPL (though this doesn't anger me, it just sorta bemuses me) is this one on the back of the bathroom stall doors--

Every time I gaze at that, I think -- why bother with the numerical euphemisms when you're just going to throw the technical term in parenthesis? Seems superfluous.

Ok, folks, so it's not the insight to end all insights.

But hey , if there's anyplace I'm especially prone to overthinking things...

No comments: