Monday, March 14, 2011

A quickie before bed

I came down with a smidge of a head cold this weekend, at its worst on Sunday. And so, Sunday night I did not sleep well, because my nose was plugged, consequently, I was sleeping with my maw wide open, with said oral cavity getting all dried out with a nice coating of dust motes. I kept waking up with dry, dusty mouth. And so, when I rose for work 7am Monday, I was hellah tired, still congested and so I just called in (with some b.s. story about not wanting to come into the office all contagious. I mean, I was legitimately sickish, but I've worked when sicker) and went back to bed until quarter of 1.

So, while it will be nice to have only a 4day work week (wardrobe selection is ever so much easier when you only have to come up with 4 pairs of clean pants.. ok, well honestly it's apt to be just 3 pairs of clean pants because, I will allow myself 1 repeat, not on consecutive days and provided the pants don't smell or have any glaringly apparent stainage ) HOWEVER, I always am hit with a unique sort of trepidation on the 1st day of work following a sick day. Did they really buy that I was sick? What the hell happened in the office all day when I wasn't around to watch my back?? And so, I am stupidly dragging my heels on going to bed because the sooner I do, the sooner back-to-work time rolls around. There is a wee, infinitesimal sector of my brain where sanity stubbornly hangs on, and the concensus from there is that the later I go to bed, the more miserable I'll be when back-to-work time does roll around so this stalling foolishness is only making matters worse. Ohhh, but sane brain usually just vexes me with how bloody sensible it is all the time, so I damned well am going to stall a bit longer...

One of the things I was diverting myself with was going back to old blog posts. My own blog posts, so a little exercise in narcissism , there. I can't believe I've been at this since 2006!! It was the old stuff I was looking at mostly--2006, 2007, and I'm unpleasantly surprised to find...I used to be much funnier. I was nutsy, for sure, but I seemed more inspired. It's as if hitting the big 3-0 kicked off a period of great mental stagnation. Ohhhh, SWELL.

No comments: