Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Noble, Possibly Pathetic Endeavor

Got an email yesterday from friend, ex-colleague, Linette... asking if I wanted to come along and check out some speed dating soiree in Quechee this Thursday night.

Yep..you read right: speed dating. I know, I know, I thought it debuted and died in 1999 too, but apparently it still does happen from time to time at various venues.

My kneejerk reflex was to fire back an "Aww, HELLS no." But I reconsidered...and instead opted for "OK, what the hell?" Y'see, it occurred to me that my instincts have not served me all that spectacularly thus far, so maybe do the UN-Sandra thing on this one. And yes, if it works for me, I *will* have the rubber bracelets made up --"WWSND??"

I don't wanna say that I fully expect it to be a disaster but...if I was a betting gal (like, a gal with money) I would bet on disaster. But, I think there's something noble just in the "putting yourself out there". Linette is quite good at that. I think that maybe why I like her...she's so outgoing she's like...intrepid about it. I think I want some of that to rub off on me.

So I'm forging ahead, trying to be as socially intrepid as I can manage, despite a few instances of unease. F'rinstance, I was explaining to another (older) pal just what speed-dating is, and basically I was recapping what I'd seen in movies or on TV. (most fresh in my mind was the 1st and only episode I'd seen of Vicar of Dibley...think that was just earlier this month I caught that on PBS) In fact, the whole phenom seems like something invented for sitcoms. But anyway, it was in the explaining (or trying to explain) the voting, or vetting or rose ceremony, or whatever the hell goes down apres banter...that I got a twinge of dread. It occurred to me: the whole thing could turn out badly...the chit-chat--at its worst-- could be painfully awkward, but that last bit...well, that might just be plain ol' painful. Something akin to kickball team selection in grade school gym...

Ohhh...but that's the risk that makes the whole endeavor noble, right? If nothing else, it will simply be an exercise in "putting oneself out there". Good to do that every now and then. And if things are fantastically successful, it could be an exercise in putting out. Oh, shit, you know, I was actually cringing as I typed that, but my inner Andrew Dice Clay will not let me take it back...the "Dice-San" is solely responsible for that contrived-ass wordplay and she was just dying to work it in there somehow or t'other. Tacky bitch.

I had another pang of "Oh shit!" today when Linette mentioned that she heard about the event on the radio. Every time I have been in Linette's car, she is listening to 100 point something or other which is "The Wolf: the Valley's BEST Country." I think it's funny that their mascot is the wolf, because I picture a lot of their listeners wearing the Three Wolf Moon tee (and *not* with comedic intent) I actually emailed her back to inquire after exactly what station she heard it advertised on. I told her "I'm committed either way, but if I am going to go in there and face bolo ties and /or NASCAR dudes, I need to steel myself for that"

THANK GOOOOD she heard it on a Top 40 station!!

Anyway, 'tis going down tomorrow night, and may it provide good blog-fodder, eh??

4 comments:

Markymark said...

Just wandered onto your blog and read this post. I must say, I'm anxious to hear how the speed dating went, and I don't even know you. Your post was that good. Please don't call my house and try to sell me something, I might just buy it. Good stuff. Please educate me on the speed dating thing. I'm married so not in the market, but have always wondered.

April said...

I randomly landed on your blog... you are too funny! Have you considered writing for a living? Really---reading a few entries cheered me considerably, knowing that there is a person like you out in the universe.

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra said...

Oh, I don't know if I could hack it as a writer. But I do love it!

Thanks for your kind encouragement, guys!!