Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mr Ed, License to Kill

I once swore I'd never get into the mostly asinine "gift-giving" applications on Facebook. A select few of my FB friends seemed to use these CONSTANTLY and I found it obnoxious and stupid. I must somewhat retract that assertion, because I've stumbled on to a few rather cool gift apps I'm using now. Now even these cool ones I'm not being obnoxious about and disseminating them to mass multitudes on a daily basis , just maybe once a week, only to those I think will appreciate my pick...

So I'm revising my stance on it to say that it entirely depends on what gifts you are choosing to send out. I still find it pointless and dumb to send someone "huggies" or flowers on Facebook. The worst (and what appears to be very popular amongst the aforesaid select few) is sending out drinks on Facebook. WTF? A Facebook mojito is so vastly incomparable to swilling the real thing. If anything, it sucks, because it makes you hanker for a mojito, and chances are, you don't have any fucking fresh mint on hand, now do you?

But it did amuse me to send a few friends Garbage Pail kids. Now with those, well, it's not exactly the same experience as getting a real GPK, but hey-- you get the graphic, the punny name , it's a decent approximation, though perhaps a smidge less gratifying. I also used the "Tacky Gifts of Kitsch & Camp" app, and what I liked about that one is that you can pick something really wackadoo from waaaay out of proverbial left field and that kind of arbitrary surprise has comic potential. I sent the Ethel Merman Disco Album to a bunch of friends. I mean, c'mon...Ethel Merman + disco= how the hell can you resist being delighted??

The gift app I'm diggin' right now is "Monty Python gifts" and the more you send, the more you unlock, which is a big part of why I'm hooked-- I can't resist discovering which new MP stuffs will become available to me. And they all trigger little Pythonic flashbacks that make me chuckle. For instance, the pantomime horse that Paul just sent me inspired me to revisit one of my faaaave skits on YouTube....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My co-worker asked me the other day if I was on facebook. I told him "No, because I don't have any friends." ...at least I don't have any friends my age that are on it. I guess that means I'm old. The only person I really know who's on facebook is my nephew. I'm sure he'd be really excited about having me be his friend... http://myparentsjoinedfacebook.com/

Sandra said...

I was reluctant to join, but my sister coerced me, and now I'm somewhat addicted...just a smidgen.
I don't think you're old!! Ok, well I really have no clue how old you are but I'm in a magnanimous sort of mindset that predisposes me to say that. Well, however old you are there are probably even older folks on FB. Seems like everybody and their mailman's uncle is on Facebook, gotta be some of 'em older than you!!
Maybe your nephew wouldn't wanna be your FB friend, but your coworker that brought up facebook obviously does.
I just checked out that link- HAA!! Thanks for the chuckle..