Tuesday, July 28, 2009

me mucho gusto musica

Here were the musical highlights of my commute home from work yesterday--
TV on the Radio-- Wolf Like Me I LOOOOVE this song. I know I've gushed so before but it merits re-gushing.
Dr Dog-- The Ark--nasty vid, great song. (I couldn't find a full track to share that was audio only)
Tom Jones-- She's a Lady--do not follow that link..it goes to a shitty remix version that I am LESS than impressed with (I just felt like it was only fair play to give TJ a link too) Oh, and I have the most marvelous Tom Jones pic ever...it is too , too marvelous to put up at this juncture, it would render me incapable of typing with its magnificence if I put it up now..you're going to have to wait until the very end of my post.
Anyways..back to "..Lady" I dunno if it's my #1 FAVE TJ tune, but it's high up there on the list. I've always been amused by this part in the 2nd verse when he sings " You can leave her on her own, knowing she's ok alone and there's no messin'' It's always felt to me like he's bragging about what a fine job he's done in housebreaking said lady. Haaa.

Now later on, I was chillaxing, getting tucking myself in for some ZZZzzzs, I shifted into classical mode. Here are just a couple of my favorite classical pieces..

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky-- 1812 Overture-- I suppose your BIG NAMES in classical music are Mozart & Beethoven (which, by the way, I always pronounce it Beet Hoven {long e & non silent H in my head}...like they do in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure) but I think Tchaikovsky is AMAAAAZING. I'm not saying Tchaikovsky isn't famous, but I don't think he's counted as one of the big, BIG NAMES (more or less, what I mean by this is that--tragically-- he's not apt to be given as a clue on $25,000 Pyramid when one of the pyramid squares is "Classical Composers") and that is a ginormo fatass injustice, that. And why no movie about Tchaikovsky?? He had a very dramatic backstory.
I have a briefer version of the 1812 on my iPod (it's about the last 3 1/2 minutes) and last summer, when my sis threw a 4th of July bash, complete with halfway decent amateur fireworks, I played it loud over the boombox for the fireworks display. Pity nobody seemed to realize how brilliant this was of me (besides me)

Erik Satie--Gymnopedies No.3-- such a beautiful ,beautiful song. This version from YouTube (that I linked to) is a pretty close match to the version I have (w/ orchestra accompaniment) I think Satie's original was a bit sparser, focusing more on the piano.
Sergei Prokofiev-- Montagues & Capulets -- Love this...gives me a similar thrill to the one I feel listening to Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King.

OK, now...as previously promised...what quite possibly is the BEST EVER photographic presentation of a popular recording artist... BEHOLD!!


No comments: