Tuesday, September 23, 2008

P.O.S. ride

My car keeps doing this thing where I start it up and then if I drive it a little ways (less than a mile) and then stop (like at the STOP sign at the end of my road for instance) it will SHUT DOWN. It restarts without any problem and then after I get going for a bit, it doesn't do it anymore (at subsequent stops--traffic lights & such..). It did it 3 times at lunch today. When I got to the end of the parking lot, turning out onto the street, and then twice in the fucking Taco Bell drive-thru.


Y'see the symptom itself is damned vexing (obviously), but what makes it even more maddening is that this only happens periodically. I'll have it happen once, and then for the rest of the week, or even for 2 weeks after, it'll run perfectly. And so then the breakdown seems like a fluke, and this works well with my natural tendency to take a "ignore-it-and-it-will-go-away" approach to issues. But then, invariably, it will happen AGAIN, the bastard will have itself a G.D. relapse and I'm all " Arrgh, there's no way around it...there is some kinda PROBLEM with this shitheap."



I mean I should just deduce from the way the thing often sounds (note the word "often"..the audible symptoms are periodic also) that it has sickly innards.

The f-er chirps like Chitty Chitty Bang when I start it up, and then after shutting it down, it ticks and pings for a good 5 minutes afterward like the Griswolds' Family Truckster. (That's the Wagon Queen Family Truckster, to be entirely accurate)

No comments: