Friday, September 05, 2008

movie blather

I was looking at the latest additions to the Worst Previews website and the 2 standouts are--

Management--I am so not a Jennifer Anniston fan. But her working with Steve Zahn might kinda win me over to her side. MAYBE. We shall see... It's weird-- she worked with Clive Owen (in Derailed) and that didn't render me a fanniston...in fact, it made me kinda HATE her. But that's because I love Clive in a more ardent, lustful way than I love Steve Zahn. Steve Zahn is just adorable and I'm glad to see him get a starring role--any starring role.

Passengers-- I do like Ann Hathaway. And I think Patrick Wilson is foxy in a fresh, understated kinda way. Looks interesting.


I also want to see Burn After Reading (I heart the Coen bros...although No Country For Old Men wasn't really my bag. It was decent, but lacking in that nutty Coens' humor that I so adore)

I kind of want to see The Women. Actually, ideally, what I'd wanna do is see the 1939 original (a flick I've always wanted to see, incidentally,but have never gotten around to it) and then see the new one--see if they did a-ok or if they committed total sacrilege.

Other cinematic blatherings--

Last weekend I went to a TRIPLE FEATURE at the drive-in. 3 movies for $7. I was thrilled!! And I brought snacks from home. When you factor that into the bargain equation, I couldn't afford not to have gone, ya see? I saw--

Space Chimps- ZZZzzzz...not seeing a lot of promotion for this animated feature (yes,it's in theaters now as a matter of fact)are ya? Probably that right there is the studio's admission that this is total dreck. My speaker was broken and I didn't even bother to relocate or turn on my car radio so's I could properly hear it--that's how much I gave a rat's ass. But you know, as faintly as I could hear it, I was able to pick out the voice talents of Patrick Warburton. D-list or no, that guy works his ever-lovin' TAIL OFF, does he not? Oh, he does--there's no debatin' it. His live action resume is not so staggering, but dude is the ubiquitous go-to guy for voicing any & all animated beefy meathead characters. I bet Warburton has GOGMAGOGICAL ASSLOADS of money. Niiice. In a waay off to the side note-- I miss that show "Less Than Perfect" Aside from that weird fuck Andy Dick and the totally mediocre Sherri Shepard, the cast was awesome. Hello--Eric Fucking Roberts!! Sara Rue is totally charming. Oh, and I rather liked that dude that played her b.f. Charlie for a season.

Pineapple Express-- Loved this movie. Seth Rogen is damned adorable & funny as hell. James Franco is fiiine & surprisingly funny as hell. But that said, it seemed to me that Danny McBride stole the damn show. The fight scenes with Red were the funniest scenes in the whole movie. Love how they called "time-out" HAA. In fact the movie mighta actually been wrecked for me if they'd opted to kill off Red. It was a good call-- letting him live (despite 5 or 6 gun shot wounds!! He's like 50 Cent!!)

Step Brothers-- This was good. I didn't like it quite as much as PE though. I love John C Reilly...dude is super talented and underrated. It's odd though-- I just saw this last weekend, and I do recall enjoying it....but... I only remember 1 part that I particularly liked. That was at the end (**SPOILER ALERT**) (NOT REALLY)when they got the boat in the tree given to them. And they popped their heads up w/ the pirate hats on and one of 'em sez ( I can't recall which one) "Hustlers!! How thoughtful!!" I think I liked that line best of all....it really amused the hell outta me

Tonight I watched the movie Army of Darkness. It's tres cheeztastic, but I do adore Bruce Campbell. It kinda bums me out though how the dude has aged-well..uhhh..not so well. I watched a coupla episodes of USA's "Burn Notice" (which is doing fairly well in the ratings, but I don't really believe anyone is watching it. Oh..the lead dude in that is pretty appealing though)and he looks older than 50 yrs old, I hate to say. 50 is supposed to be the new 40,especially in H'wood I would think. I would think a 50 yr old *actor* is gonna wanna aim for mid to late 30s, really. Bruce looks 55. I still love him though. But that's just moi. I happen to be loyal like that.

The female lead in Army... is named Sheila. That mildly irked me. Not that I have any problems with that name. Well I do have 1 prob. Sort of an involuntary musical tic. Every time I hear "Sheila", I am powerfully compelled to sing "Oh! Oh, Sheeeila" --you know that song (year:1985, artist: Ready for the World) . So I can't say I don't have a problem with Sheila, but I certainly don't dislike the name. My gripe is that Army of Darkness is set in the Middle Ages and I feel pretty certain there were no Sheilas in that time period. Not that I've researched it or anything..just seems to me to be a much more modern name. I would guess that the earliest instances of "Sheila " date back to...ohhh...1850 at the earliest.

But I hath digressed mightily..Army of Darkness reminds me that I want to see Campbell in Bubba Ho Tep. I get the feeling I won't rent it, but one day I'll just see it in a store and--BLAMMO! -- one impulse buy later, it will be mine. Possibly the same thing will happen with The Fall... a movie I'd wanted to see but it never made it to theaters in my vicinity. It looks really interesting and different and I happen to dig Lee Pace. (Y'see "really interesting" & "different" aren't big enough enticements to me...generally I need to be smitten w/ the lead actor also) Weird thing about that flick (aside from the premise) it was just in theaters not too long ago & is coming to DVD this Tues Sept 9th, but IMDB gives it a 2006 release date. Well, there musta been some distribution snafu-- IMDB is never wrong.

No comments: