Monday, October 01, 2012

Hotties Du Jour, Hotties of Yore

 

I don't read Cosmo, but I am glad that the publication keeps a-chug, chug, chuggin' along, for it gives me one of my favorite annual customs.  I quite enjoy hopping on the 'zine's website and poring over the annual BACHELOR OF THE YEAR CANDIDATES. Every year (if I happen to remember--or see somewhere--that it's Cosmo Bachelor voting time) I have an intense, extended ogle,  and the rest of the year I am completely unshallow and judge absolutely everybody on the content of their character.  I swear.

So, get over there & rock the vote...it is absolutely pointless, except perhaps it might get you in a voting mood and get you all sortsa jazzed for voting this November.  I looked at all 50 contenders (all 50 tributes.. ha haa) and was gonna jot down a top 5 but I just could NOT whittle my list down to 5. It's a FIIIINE crop this year.  I had to do a top 10.  And the Top 10 is (in reverse order, to try and percolate a modicum of suspense here) (thumbnails = links--so what a tricky trick I've mastered!!)
#10 North Carolina
 
#9 Oklahoma
#8 Nevada
 
#7 Colorado
 
#6 New Hampshire


 
                                                                                            
                                                                                                             #5 Kansas


 



                       
                      #4 Wisconsin




 



                                                                                         
                                                                                                             #3 Rhode Island

#2 Ohio

 


 
#1 New York




A few notes: Although I read every single interview, I did not take them into consideration at all.  If  I were factoring in interview answers, my #1 might not have even cracked the top 10.  He seems like he has douchebag potential.  ALSO, Ohio was a very, verrry close second.  Like, in a way I'm most smitten with him (and yes, I think it IS the hipster Richie Cunningham styling that gets me) but I tried to judge empirically, and singling out the top physical specimen in an empirical fashion, I'd have to award the honors to NY. He is quite gorg. 
I have not yet voted.  I'm curious to see who'll win.  If it's like....Maine...I'll know the contest is rigged as shit.
 
I've mentioned before (fairly recently, in fact) my habit of checking Wikipedia for historical anniversaries.  A couple of weeks ago --on Sept.13, to be precise--I zeroed in on this in my list of historical happenin's..
 
Maybe the case of Phineas Gage stuck in my head (haahaa...see what I did there?) so resolutely because it was one of my fellow Vermonters making a name for himself. . . albeit not in the most clever of ways. But I do think  Gage was a landmark case.  I know we devoted a whole lecture to him in my college Psych 101 class.  Also, you don't make the opening credits to Ripley's Believe it or Not if your tale is obscure and unimportant.  Yep, that's Gage's pike-punctured skull floating at ya right at the start of the intro.  Actually, that image of his skull was all I'd ever seen of P-Gage.  Consequently, I was ever so surprised to find that when I clicked on the Wiki write up to review the details of the event, it featured *two* photos of the man.   It seems I  had never encountered them before because they are both quite recent finds.  The daguerreotype below was authenticated in 2009
 
 
The other portrait (here) was found in 2010.
 
So yeah, I realize, it's odd for me to find foxy a dude dead for 150+ years now.  But I'll have you know that it's not EXTREMELY ODD...my proof of that being that there are at least 2 Tumblrs devoted to just that topic.  So I had to up the oddity quotient by crushing on the ORIGINAL TBI case, cyclops, with --I'd imagine-- a misshapen skull (his hair does cover it admirably though, no?)
 


2 comments:

Hey Monkey Butt said...

Dannnnng! They're hotties aren't they!!! :)

Sandra said...

vote early! vote often!!