Thursday, May 15, 2008

in the summertime, when all the trees and leaves are green

Lately , I have been on a few evening walks (all my time is *^%$#ing leisure time nowadays, y'know) and the balmy night air and the smells of the flowering trees in bloom have left me in a very-stoked-for-summer kinda mood.

Don't know if I've mentioned it before (odds are good, considering how prone to repeating myself I am) but I've always thought that the ideal summer vaca just might be at a place like Kellerman's in Dirty Dancing. I say might be, as I really haven't been on such a vacation, but it always looked pretty idyllic. Yeah, I KNOW what you're thinking, and it's SOO not the horizontal pachanga with the inimitable Johnny Castle that appealed to me. And I wasn't brainwashed by the song into believing it would be "the time of my life". It's just the whole setting that seems ideal to me. I love the communing with nature part of camping,but, for an extended period of time that can get to be deadly dull. After 2 or 3 days you can't deny the fact that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO. But at this type of resort, I think (if I am not mistaken) you have your beautiful lake and your lovely forests, but also there are ceramics classes to be taken or ,I dunno, horseshoe tournaments on the east lawn. Fabulous, no? So, in addition to planned activities (which I think could be invaluable to a vaca...I mean, how GREAT-- to be spared the mental exhaustion of that "what am I gonna do to entertain myself ??" debate-- which is such a bitch ,especially when on vaca) in addition to that, you also have a social aspect to the whole thing. And gee, *I* think it's swell to meet new people. Overall, I am a people-person--really, I am!-- even if I don't always act like I am. So yeah, at the very least it's nice to meet new people. Or at the very best (case scenario) you just might end up doing the horizontal pachanga with someone. Wooot wooo!

Some of the Dirty Dancing scenes were shot at this resort in VA. Whaddya think,gang?? Should I save up me sheckles and go there? Who's with me?

No comments: